(Answers from last time: 1. a. on, b. to, c. to, d. past; 2. a. I’m not very familiar with the problem, b. Janet is in charge of the sales department, c. Please refrain from smoking in the building, d. Sylvia stopped driving for fear she might have an accident.)
– Metaphors such as business is war, life is a journey, economics is flying, organisations are gardens
– Topics including family, holiday, dreams, health, memory, mistakes, money, moods, people
– Key words: all, way, know, point, life, line, side, point, back, cut, end, fall.
For now, let’s focus on some eye idioms.
I. Complete the sentences with these expressions containing the word eye:
a. in the public eye
b. see eye to eye
c. pull the wool over my eyes
d. eyes in the back of your head
e. up to my eyes
f. more to him than meets the eye
g. with my eyes closed
h. out of the corner of my eye
1. I spend a lot of time on the road in my job. I’ve driven from London to Edinburgh so many times now I could do it……………..
2. I’ve got three young children. You can’t sit down and relax for a minute. You need…………..
3. I wouldn’t want to be famous. You live your life………..You get no privacy whatsoever. It would drive me mad.
4. Sorry, but I’m afraid I have to cancel lunch together. I’m……… in work at the moment. How about next week?
5. I get on very well with my father. We………… on most things.
II. Add the missing prepositions:
1….. the public eye
2. turn a blind eye…… it
3. ……. to my eyes in work
4. see eye……. eye
5. keep an eye….. my things
Autor: Alexandru Macovescu – Trainer intern A_BEST Limba Engleză, Italiană şi Limba Română pentru Străini
Alexandru este absolvent al Facultăţii de Limbi şi Literaturi Străine, specializarea Engleză-Italiană. În 2010, a absolvit un masterat specializat în Traducerea Textului Literar Contemporan. Alexandru are o bogată experienţă atât în predarea limbilor engleză şi italiană cât şi în traduceri şi interpretariat şi exerciţiu în utilizarea, în contexte diferite, a limbilor străine. În prezent, Alexandru predă inclusiv cursuri A_BEST de limba engleză şi italiană, limbaj general şi de afaceri, precum şi cursuri de limba română pentru străini, în cadrul companiilor.